How to apply
PhD positions are awarded after a public selection. Candidates are expected to hold a 2nd cycle degree, which does not necessarily has to be completed at the time of the application: the degree must be obtained no later than October 31st, 2019. The official legal notice is available on May 24th, 2019.
The Application deadline is 2:00 pm of June 24th, 2019. Full documentation should be submitted as requested by the Application procedure and two referee letters should reach the PhD secretariat by e-mail within the same deadline. The shortlisting procedure will be completed by July 2nd, 2019 with results and schedule of the interviews published in http://phd.fisica.unimi.it/admission/selection-2019/. The interviews (possibly via Skype for foreign candidates) will take place immediately after.
In order to apply:
1. registering online on the University portal (more details in the next days). This operation is not required by those already registered on the portal or in possession of University access credentials (final year students or those who graduated from the University of Milan less than a year ago);.
2. submitting an admission application through the following link http://studente.unimi.it/ammissioni/a/dottorato/checkLogin.asp;
3. paying a non-refundable fee of €50 (for selection costs) by credit card or using the MAV (only in Italy) form generated by the online service.
Applicants must upload the following files in .pdf, .rtf or .jpg format, all under 10 MB:
A. Diploma Supplement, issued by the University according to European Commission, Council of Europe and UNESCO/CEPES standards, or degree certificate in Italian or English from the University of provenance, indicating exams taken, corresponding grades and credits, and showing the statistical distribution of exam grades of each course. This document is not required of graduates/undergraduates of the University of Milan since it will be acquired internally.
B. Curriculum Vitae, describing any professional experience and other qualifications held by the applicant;
C. Research Project (using Form 1);
D. Copy of Passport (foreign applicants only);
E. Any publications;
F. Any request for online interview (use Form 3);
G. Annex A.
The online application cannot be modified or supplemented with further documentation once it has been confirmed.
Italian citizens may self-certify in cases and manners provided for by the laws in force.
Failure to submit all of the above-mentioned documents A-C implies exclusion from the competition.
Qualifications and scientific publications may be submitted in Italian or English.
In addition to the above documentation, on request by the Teaching committee and as specified in the programme tables, applicants must provide maximum two reference letters (drafted according to Form 2) by the competition deadline, from persons who have had a role in their education. The reference letters in .pdf must be e-mailed directly by said persons to email@example.com. In any case candidates may include reference letters written as indicated above with their application. Reference letters are considered part of the candidate’s curriculum and no point score is assigned to them.
In any case candidates may include reference letters written as indicated above with their application. Reference letters are considered part of the candidate’s curriculum and no point score is assigned to them.
Foreign candidates can see also the page: Soon available.
Instructions for Skype interviews
A short list of applicants will be invited for an interview and applicants residing abroad may request to be interviewed via Skype. Skype interviews will take place after July 1st, 2019. We will do our best to interview applicants residing in different time zones at a convenient hour.
The rules of the Skype interview are the following:
- The applicant should send in advance the relevant information for the Skype connection using the Form 3 attached to the Announcement. This form must be uploaded together all other documents during the application on-line.
- The applicant must connect to Skype from a certified location, such as the University, a scientific Laboratory, or another public office.
- The applicant must be introduced at the beginning of the interview by a “witness” (such as his/her Master Thesis Advisor, a Professor, or a Senior Scientist), who certifies the applicant’s identity.
If you do not request in advance a Skype interview and you are shortlisted, it will be assumed that you will come here in person at the Department of Physics of the University of Milano on the day of the Skype interviews.
Enrollment after the Selection
It’s requested a certification, as indicated in art. 6, of at least B2 level English language skills. The following candidates do not have to provide certification:
– those who have obtained, or will obtain by 31 October 2019, a second cycle degree (where English is the specialist subject) in one of the following areas: LM-37 Modern European and American Languages and Literature, LM-38 Modern Languages for International Communication and Cooperation, LM-39 Linguistics, LM-94 Specialised Translation and Interpreting or equivalent second cycle degree;
– those who have obtained, or will obtain by 31 October 2019, a second cycle degree taught entirely in English;
– those who have passed the test organised by the University to ascertain level B2 language skills required for admission to 32nd cycle doctoral studies;
– those who have been awarded a level B2 language skills certificate issued by Milan University (Servizio Linguistico d’Ateneo di Milano-SLAM) by the date of the enrollment.