How to apply
PhD positions are awarded after a public selection. Candidates are expected to hold a 2nd cycle degree, which does not necessarily has to be completed at the time of the application: the degree must be obtained no later than October 31st, 2017. The official legal notice is available on http://www.unimi.it/cataloghi/dottorati_borse_premi/Bando_dottorati_XXXIII_ciclo.pdf (english version: soon available).
The Application deadline is September 4th 2017. Full documentation should be submitted as requested by the Application procedure and two referee letters should reach the PhD secretariat by e-mail within the same deadline. The shortlisting procedure will be completed by 6:00 pm of September 8th 2017 with results and schedule of the interviews published in http://phd.fisica.unimi.it/admission/year2017/. The interviews (possibly via Skype for foreign candidates) will take place immediately after.
In order to apply:
1. Register yourself at https://www.unimi.it/registrazione/registra.keb or (page in english language under construction). This operation is not necessary for those already registered on the University portal, or knowing their login details (e.g., final year students, or those who graduated at the University of Milan since less than one year).
2. Go to http://www.unimi.it/hpsifa/nonProfiledPage_100.html and click on “Servizi di ammissione – Admission”. Do login (in the frame on the upper right) and proceed by clicking on “Dottorati di Ricerca”.
On filling the form, you will be asked to upload the following documents (in either pdf, rtf, or jpg format). The size of individual files must not exceed 10 MB).
A. The Diploma Supplement or a certificate (drafted either in italian or in english), specifying the courses you attended during your whole university career, with the corresponding marks. If applicable, it should include the final evaluation of your Master-level thesis;
B. Your Curriculum Vitae including a list of publications (if any), an abstract of your Master thesis, and professional experiences (if any);
C. A short research project in form of an essay about an open scientific problem in physics, which illustrates the state of the art and a possible way to make progress about it in the next future (see Form 1). The topic of the essay may be different from the topic of your Ph.D. Your essay will be discussed during the interview and used to assess your competences;
D. Certification of English language skills at least at the B2 level, or a written statement (see Form 4) to obtain the exemption;
E. [Only for non-Italian candidates] Copy of your passport (only the pages containing your personal data);
F. Any other relevant document or publication;
G. [Only for non-Italian candidates] Information for the Skype connection using the Form 3 attached to the Announcement;
H. Annex A.
Once the application online has been submitted, it can’t be modified or completed with additional documentation (or replacing missing/wrong uploads of items A, B or C listed above). An incomplete application will imply exclusion from the selection.
In addition, notice that you are expected to have two Referee letters e-mailed directly by your sponsors to email@example.com, using the Form 2. The letters MUST be received not later than the application deadline.
Foreign candidates can see also the page: Soon available.
Instructions for Skype interviews
A short list of applicants will be invited for an interview and applicants residing abroad may request to be interviewed via Skype. Skype interviews will take place after the September 11th. We will do our best to interview applicants residing in different time zones at a convenient hour.
The rules of the Skype interview are the following:
- The applicant should send in advance the relevant information for the Skype connection using the Form 3 attached to the Announcement. This form must be uploaded together all other documents during the application on-line.
- The applicant must connect to Skype from a certified location, such as the University, a scientific Laboratory, or another public office.
- The applicant must be introduced at the beginning of the interview by a “witness” (such as his/her Master Thesis Advisor, a Professor, or a Senior Scientist), who certifies the applicant’s identity.
If you do not request in advance a Skype interview and you are shortlisted, it will be assumed that you will come here in person at the Department of Physics of the University of Milano on the day of the Skype interviews.