Courses and Seminars 2018/2019
PhD courses (to fulfill the 12 mandatory CFUs)
Each student must choose the courses among those listed below. The lessons schedule will be available after the preliminary meeting of each course. 2018/2019 program lessons.
ASTROPHYSICS AREA (BERTIN)
- Advanced topics in astrophysics and plasma physics (6 CFU-30 hours, M.Bersanelli, C.Grillo, L.Guzzo, M.Romé, G.Lodato, M.Lombardo, D.Maino)
NUCLEAR AND SUBNUCLEAR AREA (ANDREAZZA)
- Nuclear structure and nuclear reactions (6 CFU-36 hours, S.Leoni, G.Colò, F.Scarlassara, A.Vitturi)
- Advanced topics in particle physics (6 CFU-30 hours, A.Andreazza, L.Carminati, C.Pagani, R.Turra, F.Vissani)
MATTER PHYSICS AREA (CASTELLI)
- Quantum theory of matter (6 CFU-30 hours, N.Manini, G.Onida, A.Parola)
- Quantum Coherent Phenomena (6 CFU-30h, M.Genoni, C.Benedetti, F.Castelli)
THEORETICAL PHYSICS AREA (FERRERA)
- Introduction to conformal field theory and topological quantum field theory (6 CFU-30 hours, S.Caracciolo, S.Cacciatori)
- An introduction to random matrices (3 CFU-15 hours, L.Molinari)
- Computational, simulation and machine methods in high energy physics and beyond: Automated computational tools (3 CFU-15 hours, F.Maltoni-M.Zaro)
- Computational, simulation and machine methods in high energy physics and beyond: Monte Carlo Methods (3 CFU-15 hours, P.Nason)
APPLIED PHYSICS AREA (VAILATI)
- Experimental methods for the investigation of systems at the nano scale (6 CFU-30 hours, A.Vailati, M.Potenza, P.Piseri, S.Cialdi, C.Lenardi, A.Lascialfari, M.Carpineti, M.Buscaglia, F.Giavazzi, A.Podestà, G.Zanchetta)
- Computing hardware architectures for pattern recognition (3 CFU-15 hours, V.Liberali)
PhD seminars (out of mandatory CFUs)
The seminars schedule will be attached when available.
- Computational, simulation and machine methods in high energy physics and beyond: Machine Learning (3 CFU-15 hours, S.Carrazza): An introduction to machine learning techniques including model representation, parameter learning, non-linear models, hyperparameter tune, and an overview of modern deep learning strategies. The seminars will cover the theoretical and mathematical aspects of machine learning followed by practical examples of code implementation using public frameworks.